setupp.ini

Windows XP PowerPacker is a program I made to help users create Universal Windows XP Disks. It allows you to install any kind of XP edition on any computer without the need to install drivers and it packs everything onto one disk!

setupp.ini

Postby theuni » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:34 pm

Start at this thread:
http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

I'm thinking that everyone (like myself) probably compiles a separate cd for each (oem, retail, upgrade, corp), then packs them together using powerpacker to produce a multi-cd.

Would it be possible to create a setupp.ini for each install (say 3) then execute a program in the very beginning of the XP install to copy the correct version of setupp.ini to the i386 folder? I guess you could base it on some variable in CDSHELL (if they exist)

I dont know if any of this is possible, but it seems like overkill to have 3 different cds, integrate them individually, configure the drivers individually, etc.. all for 1 differing file.

obviously this wouldn't help with home/pro/corp, but i know it'd sure save me some time.

Am i making any sense? I'm trying really hard, heh
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:28 pm

It makes a lot of since... but I don't think it would work they way you are hoping. I think setupp.ini is read from the disk and not the hard drive. So it wouldn't be possible to have different copies of the setupp.ini file on the disk. I have played around with the idea a few times in the past.

I did decide that in a later release of PowerPacker I may have a storage folder that PowerPacker can use to store the different types of files for each type of disk. For instance the files needed for the pro retail version vs the pro oem version are like 7 files if I remember right. I could have powerpacker grab those 7 files and store them for later use. Then if you had an oem disk and wanted to make a retail pack powerpacker would grab those 7 files from storage to create a retail disk.
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby theuni » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:31 pm

yea, that's kinda what i'm trying now.

I count 9 files (according to a diff) that are different, though that includes some chm's. I know i dont really need to change them, just trying to be authentic. I'm trying to integrate once, then copy that a couple times and paste the file in, then powerpacking. If nothing else, it saves me a total of 4 integrations/driverpacks.

any reason why this wouldn't work?

sidenote:

when doing a powerpacked disk with your oem addons and driverpacks, the driverpacks files aren't found when they're in \i386\bin like they're supposed to be (method 2). is there somewhere else i should put them? Same goes for your oemscan addons, will they work with a powerpacked image?
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:10 am

the oemscan files and the driverpack files need to be at the root of the disk in the OEM folder. not next to the I386 dir.
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby theuni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 am

as it is now, i have the OEM directory in the root of the whole cd. Is that correct, or do the folders inside that directory have to be at root?

Thanks
TheUni
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Everything inside the OEM dir need to be at the root.
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby theuni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:43 pm

not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to be clear...

when i run powerpacker, it doesnt copy the OEM folder, so i've been putting it in the \root\x???\ folder manually. do i not need to do that? You're saying the only place they need to be (the bin folder + misc files for driverpacks method 2, and the Dell, Gate, etc. folders for oemscan) are at the very root of the cd?
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:13 pm

All of the files and folders should be at the root of your disk inside the OEM folder.

PowerPacker doesn't copy over the OEM Dir from your source files right now. But in the next version it will. ;) It will also copy the WPI dir automatically for those that use WPI.
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby Z.C. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 am

Another option is to do all your updates to one version of the XP source, then copy it into several folders, one for each version included on your multi-disk.
Then, copy the individually different files required for the separate versions of windows. I have successfully changed XP Pro SP2 versions from OEM to CORP to RETAIL with no problems. The KEY changed files for various versions are:
    DPCDLL.DL_ (OEM and Retail are the same)
    OEMBIOS.BI_ (OEM and Retail are the same)
    OEMBIOS.CA_ (OEM and Retail are the same)
    OEMBIOS.DA_ (OEM and Retail are the same)
    OEMBIOS.SI_ (OEM and Retail are the same)
    PIDGEN.DLL (OEM and Retail are the same)
    SETUPP.INI (All versions different)
These are the ONLY files that need changed to recognize each versions product keys and activation (or not).

Once you have the various updated folders, proceed with the standard multi-boot disk, but make sure to use the ISO option to store files only once. Because ALL the files but the above seven and the bootsector files are the same, an ISO made this way has very little extra.
Starting with a standard XP PRO SP2 OEM CD (574 MB), you can add a CORP version and a RET version, with NO other modifications, and have an ISO of only 589 MB.
    574 (OEM)
    + 12.6 (CORP Extra)
    + <1 (RET Extra)
    + <2 (Boot files)

So, if you mod your source first, to reduce size, etc, all the hard work is done only once. Granted, copying the modded source to several folders will eat space on your Hard Drive, but it's about the same as copying several sources to the Hard Drive, then modding them separately. But, this saves space on the ISO because the files ARE identical.

ZC
Z.C.

Users Information

Re: setupp.ini

Postby Z.C. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:33 am

theuni wrote:obviously this wouldn't help with home/pro/corp, but i know it'd sure save me some time.

Actually, for Home, you have OEM, Retail, and Upgrade. For Pro, you have OEM, Retail, Upgrade, and Corp.
Corp IS Pro, but with a few key files changed.

ZC
Z.C.

Users Information

Next

Return to Windows XP PowerPacker