Options, preferences,includes, excludes, and a readme

The RVM Integrator was created by picking the mind of RyanVM of msfn.org. It allows you to actually slipstream windows hotfixes and third party software directly into a windows install disk. This is unlike any other software out there that claims to do this. It allows advanced users to create simple UpdatePack/Addons for others to use to slipstream things to their disks.

Options, preferences,includes, excludes, and a readme

Postby ChiefZeke » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Options, preferences, includes, excludes, and a readme.

I do remember reading about some of this but I can't remember where. I also remember selection possiblities but no mention is made in Help or a readme; so I'm asking for a definitive answer and making a suggestion that the information be included with the Integrator or its download as a separate file if the situation warrants.

Looking at an XP Home CD I figured, or remembered, that \DOCS, \DOTNETFX, \SUPPORT, and \VALUEADD and an XP Pro CD that \CMPNENTS, \DOCS, \SUPPORT, and \VALUEADD do not have to be included as a part of the source when using the RyanVM Integrator because no files/programs in
these folders are updated when the Integrator is run and they simply consumed space that could be used by other Addons included in the Integrator as part of its operation. (The user could alwasy return to the source CD in the future if it was determined something here was required.)

Also, in \I386, the folders \LANG, \WIN9XMIG, \WIN9XUPG, and \WINNTUPG were also not effected by the Integrator and, depending on the end use of the final CD, one, two, three, or all of them could also be eliminated from the source as the Integrator was being used; thereby providing more space for additional Addons to be integrated. (Statement in () above also applies here.)

So, I am asking those intimately involved in the creation and improvement of the RyanVM Integrator to seriously consider some kind of readme file and usage instructions so that a novice user can readily determine how to use the Integrator and what parts of the source media can safely not be inluded as a part of what the Integrator relies upon to perform its function.

I tried to keep this simple and clear; I hope I did.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:13 pm

As of today, 10Feb08, nobody answered but I did a test yesterday.

I copied my XP Pro w/SP2 CD to the hard drive. I then deleted folders \CMPNENTS, \DOCS, \SUPPORT\, VALUEADD, and in \I386 \LANG, \WIN9XMIG, \WIN9XUPG, and \WINNTUPG.

I then ran RyanVM 1.5RC4c with RVMUpdatePack2.2.1.b3, a long list of Addons, and BOOOOOGy's WMP11 Slipstreamer. An .ISO was then created and this .ISO was a bit over 135Mb smaller than my previous creation using the same Integrator, Update, Addons, and WMP11 Slipstreamer with updates. I did not burn a CD for further testing as I was waiting for the updated
RVMUpdatePack2.2.1b4 and patch Tuesday (assuming/guessing that any updates would be included in a new RVMUpdatePack).

So I feel safe in reporting that the deletion of the folders mentioned did result in more space being made available for the user to increase the number of Addons, etc in their Integrated CD.

Searching Microsoft I figure that:
\LANG is required if languages other than English are to be installed.

\WIN9XMIG is required when migrating from Windows 95/98 to XP.

\WIN9XUPG contains entries for specifying an unattended install from Win98/SE/ME to XP

\WINNTUPG is required for a network upgrade to XP.

So, I would conclude that the only one of the folders I listed above and am asking about that is required is \WIN9XMIG if the user is Integrating and creating a new CD that will be used to do a clean, upgrade install on a Home or Pro system or a repair install to a Home or Pro system that was installed as an upgrade to Win95/98. (Hope all that made sense.)

Further, enlightened comments are solicited.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:31 pm

You are pretty spot on with everything.

As for the LANG folder... it depends on the default lang of your disk. If you are using a german disk then the default lang would be german. So (I assume) it would be fine for a german to delete the lang folder because they would still have the german lang installed by default. ;)

As for the WINNTUPG directory I usually leave two files in it. NETMAP.INF and NETUPGRD.DLL. Which will prevent an error popping up when you click to attempt to install while in windows.

The CMPNENTS directory is needed for Media Center / Tablet PC installs. ;)
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Siginet wrote:You are pretty spot on with everything.
As for the WINNTUPG directory I usually leave two files in it. NETMAP.INF and NETUPGRD.DLL. Which will prevent an error popping up when you click to attempt to install while in windows.

Siginet; Thanks for the info about kepping the two files you mentioned in the \WINNTUPG directory - a note has been made as a reminder.

Yesterday, 11Feb08 after reading comments in the forum about Driver Packs I figured I'd check them out and see how they added to integrating/updating things.

I went to the appropriate web site and downloaded their latest Driver Packs that were appropriate for my system.

I then ran DPs_BASE.exe using their tutorial, used my previous RyanVM Integration as the object, and allowed things to be integrated, then did a Make ISO. The resulting .ISO file was 135Mb bigger than the earlier one - telling me the space I saved earlier was put to good use.

A review of the devices actually supported by Driver Packs was done to verify the large space requirement. This led to me opting to not include in my next update the DP_Graphics_A*** as the ATI driver and Catalyst files were months out-of-date.

So, I would recommend that any README for the latest Integrator include comments about possible space requirements if the user is limited to burning a CD as opposed to a DVD if the use of Driver Packs are a possibility.

I am now awaiting the final release of RyanVM Integrator 1.5 and the new Update Pack 2.2.1 so I can put to good use all the stuff learned around here.

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work on the new Integrator and other
Updates/Addons.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:46 pm

OT= Shameless plug!
The Graphics_A final release is months out of date, you are correct. But the latest test DP is up to date with Cats 8.01 and nvidia 169.21. I should know, I made it. :)
It's being made final now by the other team members, but you can download it here:http://dev.driverpacks.thesneaky.com/driverpacks_nightlies/DP_Graphics_A_wnt5_x86-32_8012.7z
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar! OEMSCAN pre-activation addon for OEM XP & 2003
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Thnaks for the info - BUT, when I checked at Driver Packs yesterday, 12 Feb the Graphics A update was not yet posted.

Also, not to ruin your day but ATI/AMD posted the February updates, 8.2, today.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Siginet wrote:You are pretty spot on with everything.

As for the LANG folder... it depends on the default lang of your disk. If you are using a german disk then the default lang would be german. So (I assume) it would be fine for a german to delete the lang folder because they would still have the german lang installed by default. ;)

The CMPNENTS directory is needed for Media Center / Tablet PC installs. ;)

Siginit, I came back tonight to wander around and noticed there was a discussion a couple of years ago on this same subject and that you had created Addon Packs to empty the offending folders - I did download both of them tonight. Any reason you did not mention their existence earlier and are they still valid?
Thanks
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 pm

Some people prefer to do it themselves. I forgot to mention them. ;) They are still valid and work very well. :D
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby JILES » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:37 am

Just my contribution:

I was taught at a MS developers camp, somewhere in the past [at least 3 years ago] that it was safe to delete the folders [assume you don't want tabletPC]: \CMPNENTS, \DOCS, \SUPPORT\, \DOTNETFX, \VALUEADD.

With the very important caveat that the folders in the I386 dir: \LANG, \WIN9XMIG, \WIN9XUPG, and \WINNTUPG were NOT deleted BUT their contents could be. That is: must be present but could be left empty. [With the exception of the 2 files NETMAP.INF and NETUPGRD.DLL in the \WINNTUPG folder of course - as previously stated by other posters.]

Hope this nfo helps rather than confuses the issues raised in this topic!
JILES

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm

JILES wrote:With the very important caveat that the folders in the I386 dir: \LANG, \WIN9XMIG, \WIN9XUPG, and \WINNTUPG were NOT deleted BUT their contents could be. That is: must be present but could be left empty. [With the exception of the 2 files NETMAP.INF and NETUPGRD.DLL in the \WINNTUPG folder of course - as previously stated by other posters.]

Thanks for the info - I'll have to modify my note to myself the keep the \Folders but delete the files (except for the ones mentioned earlier).

I sure do hope a README or HELP file is created that includes all of this nice, space-saving information.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Next

Return to RyanVM Integrator