Office Updates Downloader

Slipstreams Office Servicepacks, hotfixes and custom HotPacks into your Office 2003 Suite. It also creates a reg file with needed entries to satisfy Microsoft Update.

Office Updates Downloader

Postby TwoJ » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:26 am

I've put together a small package, which contains the English (en-us) updates for most of the Office update packages i put out. Since this program works by database it might be easier to release this instead of uploading/downloading packages, since only a few are needed per month that can be downloaded from Microsoft.

I've setup the database with a tree structure to work with the office integrator, its not perfect, and i will modify it in the future.

Once you download the file, i suggest you create a folder such as 'Updates' on your hard drive, extract the file to this and you should get a few files, run the ketarin.exe and it should display a window with the updates that I've created at this time. You can go into View->Show Groups to get a better view of the packages, also by clicking on the target bar will hopefully make it clear which updates there are. You can now select the updates for a particular group that you don't want to download and delete them, ie if you don't want the Office Viewers, then select all the updates that have a target path including 'Office_Viewers' and delete them.

The program will also download service packs, so be careful that you risk downloading a considerable amount if you have everything selected.

For the moment I've tried to group things into the same folders, even though in some GLB (Global) folders you will find language specific updates (ie en-us for US English), I've done this so that from OI you can select all the updates from one folder.

[2014-05-19]

- You will find a small batch file '_ExtractMSPs.bat' in each 'hotfix' folder of 2007+. You just need to run this in order to create a updates subfolder that should contain all the updates needed to be installed with office in order for it to be up-to-date. Just copy the contents of this folder to the 'updates' folder of your office installation source.

- I've modified the batch file so it is in all the 2007, 2010, 2013 downloads. In order to do this I had to make changes to the 2007 file structure, If you want 2007, please DELETE THE EXISTING 2007 FOLDER and let the OUD re-download the files into the new structure.

- In the next release I will probably modify the structure again in order to simplify the downloads. I suspect it makes more sense to gave one global folder than individual folders for each version. This should cut down on space and time requirements.

Download the Office Updates Downloader (updated 2014-05-19)
Ketarin_OfficeUpdatesDownloader_en-us_20140519.7z

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

[2013-11-11]

I know many of you have come here wondering if this project is dead - I will not say it is dead but for my part it has become a project that I can't devote the time I once did. The recent period that the forum was down was finally the time to realize that there were several reasons why I should stop/cut-back. The main reasons is that a new son whom I need/wish to spend time with, my work has changed that I used to be able to do these updates at work (so this project was partly funded by my company) - this is no longer possible, I used to do many more deployments than I do these days so it was in my interest to keep this project going, and also my personal interests have been in other things. There are other smaller reasons but these are the main ones.
Another factor is also that I have noticed a significant drop in users/interest even prior to the forum going offline and again I think its for several reasons, a lot of these projects are Windows XP only based and that OS while being a great OS is just normally being replaced with Windows 7 and 8 which can't use these great tools like the OEM ACT and PowerPacker, another reason I think is because Siginet has been pretty absent before the forums went offline and without a significant number of users to keep the forums alive, things will stagnate as I think they did.

I do believe that the OI has a future, people who do deployments like to have things up-to-date when they install a software, they don't like installing Office 2010 and then apply 60 odd patches. However I can't spend a weekend every month making this happen. I know people love coming here and downloading the updates but at this point there are 2 alternatives.
I still need these updates for "some" office products, so I will probably make some packs on a very infrequent basis, this means most viewers and other lower use office products, project, sharepoint designer, I would drop them and I might post the most common packs (update the OUD) maybe every 6 months, maybe once a year, I don't know. It would be as I can do it and not a commitment to do it as I was doing it before.
The 2nd choice, which I would prefer, is to get someone to take over this project. I had indicated this some time ago and there really wasn't any serious offers, now I would be very happy to teach someone how I do these packs and they can take over the process, maybe someone could find a way to automate part or all of it. But I do believe these forums do need an overhaul to update the projects including this one.

In terms of the OI, I have been in communication with benners and i'll let him speak for himself and the OI but I believe Sig has the code for v1.x. Certainly one of the things to get this project up and running again would be to get an updated version of the OI available and then maybe it will spark someone into doing the packs or integrating the process into the OI as I had envisioned it.

So I haven't 'jumped ship' as I saw someone post, but I am only going to be passing by from time-to-time, I will be happy to answer questions or help someone take over the OUD or pack creation.

Thanks to all the people along the way that have replied, commented and said 'thank you' for my work, I never expect it and it is greatly appreciated when I see it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by TwoJ on Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby benners » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks TwoJ, I would like to add some sort of d/l facility into the OI but don't have the know how or the time. I found something similar a while back here which does it for office.

From my quick test it d/ls the updates and adds them to the Office setup files instead of slipstreaming them.
benners

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:42 pm

TwoJ - looks like a very useful program.

Is it safe to assume that the downloads using the Office Updates Downloader (OUD) are more accurate and up-to-date than the updates listed in the Office Integrator .CHM file?

I did use the OUD and then matched what it downloaded with what I had downloaded and which I thought were the latest updates for Office 2003 and the Viewers - there were a couple of mis-matches and before I make a list of these differences I figured I'd ask here as to the accuracy of the OUD downloads. ;)
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:TwoJ - looks like a very useful program.

Is it safe to assume that the downloads using the Office Updates Downloader (OUD) are more accurate and up-to-date than the updates listed in the Office Integrator .CHM file?

I did use the OUD and then matched what it downloaded with what I had downloaded and which I thought were the latest updates for Office 2003 and the Viewers - there were a couple of mis-matches and before I make a list of these differences I figured I'd ask here as to the accuracy of the OUD downloads. ;)

Hi chief

The updates are based on the updates that i use for my update hotpacks, i don't have any control over the updates that are published in the help file so i can't give any help about which one is more accurate. In an ideal world it would be great if someone could always keep an up-to-date list but since MS is not paying me to or anyone here, we'll have to make do with what we can do.
As you may have seen awhile ago i posted about having an online datebase which people could just auto-update the updates for their office installations. well this is a step in that direction, its not as practical nor as clean as i would like it but it does allow people not to need to download a 160MB package when all they need is a 3mb update.

This is really a work in progress since it means that this has to be redownloaded every month with the new updates, then the user has to reconfigure the database with the updates they want, so as it is right now it is more for the advanced user than just someone who wants to download the full pack and replace the existing one.

As i mentioned i tried the WUD 'Windows Update Downloader' but if i include the SPs they are always re-downloaded so that was really unacceptable i considered. In this case people can download the database, replace the older with the newer, reconfigure the database, update only the necessary files (provided they don't change the folder structure), then run the OI with the updates, the OI will then (ideally) put all the old and unnecessary hotfixes into a 'obsolete' folder, which can then be deleted.

The problems that this program has at the moment is that;
1) there is no easy way to select/deselect stuff, nor remember the settings - ie no office XP updates, or no optional updates
2) there is no control to delete older updates, at the moment it is up to the end user to clean-up the folders
3) the folder structure allows for duplicates, i would like a structure that avoids that but that would involve the end user to need to move updates around manually, which was one of the things i was trying to avoid.

This is really an attempt to see how an online datebase might work in order to have a local cache of updates that can be managed by either a seperate program, or by the OI itself. In reality this project needs someone will a lot of spare time and interest (more than benners and myself) to pull together a much more refined OI.

thanks for your input :)
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Updated to 2010-08-21
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Updated to 2010-10-16
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby GollyJer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am

I'd love to give this a try but am unable to download from RapidShare.
Can you add another download location? Or maybe PM it to me? Thanks!
GollyJer

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 am

Hi GollyJer
Sorry to hear you are having issues, but as i've mentioned i really don't want to start uploading to more file hosting sites.
In your case can you try using a program called jdownloader and see if it helps with the download - let me know what happens
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Updated to 2011-01-22
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Updated to 2011-02-13

-I have started including a delete command for replaced hotfixes which should help keep the download folders clean of replaced hotfixes, which solves one of the outstanding issues.
TwoJ

Users Information

Next

Return to Office Integrator