[Release] Office Integrator v1.1

Slipstreams Office Servicepacks, hotfixes and custom HotPacks into your Office 2003 Suite. It also creates a reg file with needed entries to satisfy Microsoft Update.

Postby benners » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:30 am

stalker878 wrote:registry entries were added.
WU bugged me to install for Office 2K3, SP3 & KB954478
for outlook 2003, 973705, 943649 & 2 junk mail filers (974771 & 976882)

I did not integrate all the outlook updates into the installation, but I did not install outlook as well.

On thing to check is that the SP3 and updates are all for the language that your office is (*assumes English) I expect they are but just trying to cover all the bases because of the problems you are having. Different languages have different registry entries. I have managed to use gryffins' Dutch hotpack to update my English XP when testing some problems.

With MU it does seem to throw a wobbler at times. TwoJ brought to my attention the latest problem with Junk filter updates. MS say that one replaces the other, as it normally does, but when you use the latest update MU reports and earlier update is required as well.

I think MS just covering their back by saying you need all of these. Sometimes people require different Office apps on their machines so I make sure that all patches are applied to all applications, that way I know they are up to date.
benners

Users Information

Postby stalker878 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Yup, the updates are in english. Does it matter if the default language of my XP is english (british)? I would assume office would take on the default language of the OS.

Well, since I did not install and don't use outlook, I would not be bothered by the updates. But could an outlook update that was included in SP3, which I did not include, could have cause this error in detecting the existance of the SP?

Cheerrs!
stalker878

Users Information

Postby benners » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:31 pm

stalker878 wrote:Yup, the updates are in english. Does it matter if the default language of my XP is english (british)? I would assume office would take on the default language of the OS.

Well, since I did not install and don't use outlook, I would not be bothered by the updates. But could an outlook update that was included in SP3, which I did not include, could have cause this error in detecting the existance of the SP?

Cheerrs!

No. Really the registry entry isn't needed for MU to recognise the SP. It was added after a request a while ago. Each update uses a unique GUID created from the patch. Most of the info comes from the msp and the OI uses this to decide if one update replaces another, what registry entry to create and if the update is needed for the Office source etc. This is why it is sometimes a mystery why things don't work.
benners

Users Information

Latest CHM update

Postby ChiefZeke » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Latest Office Integrator help file (12/14/09)

Hotfixes > Links > Office XP > Post SP3(x22) - Updated 12/7/2009 does not list KB933399 but lower at Replaced (x20) - Updated 12/7/2009 shows KB933399 replaced KB873379 but no indication KB933399 itself was replaced by anything. I can only assume you missed this with your eagle eye scan and posting of all these updates. :p

Office XP, Compatability Pack, and 2007 Viewers were ok.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:33 pm

hi benners

So been trying to find a way around the junk mail filter issue with KB974771 and KB976882, I've tested it by not installing any junk mail filter and MU detects that both 974771 and 976882 are need, if i install just 976882 from MU then a subsequent MU says that 974771 isn't needed. So something seems glitchy with the detection of the filter.

I've also tried unsucessfully to fool the OI into allowing the 2, but i guess it checks with the msp on which updates it surpasses.

So i'm out of thoughs on what to do, i'm guessing this is a glitch on MS part of detection. I'm tempted to just release the hotpack with the new one and hopefully MS will correct the glitch but this could be an ongoing issue.

Any thoughts
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby benners » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:51 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:Latest Office Integrator help file (12/14/09)

Hotfixes > Links > Office XP > Post SP3(x22) - Updated 12/7/2009 does not list KB933399 but lower at Replaced (x20) - Updated 12/7/2009 shows KB933399 replaced KB873379 but no indication KB933399 itself was replaced by anything. I can only assume you missed this with your eagle eye scan and posting of all these updates. :p

Office XP, Compatability Pack, and 2007 Viewers were ok.

Thanks Chief. I will edit and re post later.

TwoJ wrote:hi benners

So been trying to find a way around the junk mail filter issue with KB974771 and KB976882, I've tested it by not installing any junk mail filter and MU detects that both 974771 and 976882 are need, if i install just 976882 from MU then a subsequent MU says that 974771 isn't needed. So something seems glitchy with the detection of the filter.

I've also tried unsucessfully to fool the OI into allowing the 2, but i guess it checks with the msp on which updates it surpasses.

So i'm out of thoughs on what to do, i'm guessing this is a glitch on MS part of detection. I'm tempted to just release the hotpack with the new one and hopefully MS will correct the glitch but this could be an ongoing issue.

Any thoughts

It must be a glitch on their part. There's no consistancy with the information.

Description for KB976882 - says it replaces KB975958
Description for KB975958 - says it replaces KB974771

I could add another fookin exception but would rather not (but I have :) ). MS need to pull their finger out and employ people with brains :) . If it is left there will no doubt be people posting saying there is an update showing.

Attached is the test build. It adds an exception for KB974771 and the HotPack created has it in but I haven't tested it with MU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benners

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 am

Great work again benners.

New hotpacks are hot off the hard drive!

btw - i'm curious about how the setup.exe is repackaged by OI - can you post or PM me some details

thanks
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby benners » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:35 am

TwoJ wrote:Great work again benners.

New hotpacks are hot off the hard drive!

btw - i'm curious about how the setup.exe is repackaged by OI - can you post or PM me some details

thanks

No probs. I am unsure what you mean regarding repackaging. The OI doesn't touch the original setup.exe (unless I have forgotten :) ).

Can you be more specific, I don't mind posting info about it.
benners

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 pm

In the earlier versions of the OI these was a seperate exe created by the OI that needed to be run in order to launch the updates and import the reg file into the registry.

I thought that you through you somehow mananged to include that functionality into the exe.
I believe you said somewhere where the registry keys for the updates are a custom action, i was thinking it was the exe but now you make me think its the msi instead.
Can you maybe just give a quick overview of how the OI does its magic?

thanks
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby benners » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:41 am

TwoJ wrote:In the earlier versions of the OI these was a seperate exe created by the OI that needed to be run in order to launch the updates and import the reg file into the registry.

I thought that you through you somehow mananged to include that functionality into the exe.
I believe you said somewhere where the registry keys for the updates are a custom action, i was thinking it was the exe but now you make me think its the msi instead.
Can you maybe just give a quick overview of how the OI does its magic?

thanks

You are correct with your statements. Originally a seperate exe was created that ran the setup file and after installation, imported the registry file.

It is now the msi that calls the registry file, with a custom action. When an update is integrated, the OI checks for the existence of the reg file and if not found it is created and the msi is edited with this custom action.

The custom action is called before the last action of the msi as if they are added before the PublishProduct action they are deleted. I had previously found a way to add the entries directly into the msi but the registry table is processed before this PublishProduct sequence.

In Office 2003 there is a registry2 table and if the entries are added there they stick, as it is called after the PublishProduct.

If MS would check files instead of registry entries, these wouldn't be necessary, but then I wouldn't have learned a small bit about msi editing :)
benners

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to Office Integrator