Office Integrator v2.0 requests thread

Slipstreams Office Servicepacks, hotfixes and custom HotPacks into your Office 2003 Suite. It also creates a reg file with needed entries to satisfy Microsoft Update.

Office Integrator v2.0 requests thread

Postby benners » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:37 am

I don't use Office I only picked this project as I was already working on an Integrator of my own to learn some programming skills. I had used AutoIt to automate installs so stuck with this.

If people want some sort of functionality or have some process in mind they think may be a good addition then add them here and I'll look at implementing them. I'll use this thread as a list for me to refer to.

Version 1.2
I have done some work on the next version but don't have a lot of time and understand people may want an updated working version. I have made some fixes to v1.2 of the Integrator and when tested will post. I have altered the process to account for the KB number problem (7 digits don't work) and some other things.

With the new version 2.0 I have also combined the viewers registry file into the msi. When tested on Windows 7 it needs elevated privelegdes to run due to running regedit in the system32 folder to import the file. Is this a problem?, how do people install the msis? I can always go back to the seperate files if needed.

I'll start,
TwoJ has mentioned about unattended running like the RVMI.
benners

Users Information

Postby adric » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 am

Hi Benners, I noticed that the OI GUI is not 100% DPI aware. There is some text truncation in the main menu when running at 120 DPI. Since you are sticking with Autoit, this code might be of interest to you or this in general. Thanks for pushing on with this.

Al
adric

Users Information

Postby benners » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

adric wrote:Hi Benners, I noticed that the OI GUI is not 100% DPI aware. There is some text truncation in the main menu when running at 120 DPI. Since you are sticking with Autoit, this code might be of interest to you or this in general. Thanks for pushing on with this.

Al

Hi AL,

Thanks for the information regarding the GUI and a big thanks for taking the time to find a solution. I altered the code you linked to and in the next version the GUI will resize, dependant on the DPi :D
benners

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I have copies of Office 2010 Professional and Home & Student.

The DVDs have \x64 and \x86 folders - would like to see the new Integrator update both if that is possible. I mention that because I know the RyanVM Integrator will slipstream both XP Pro and XP Pro x64 versions.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby benners » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:I have copies of Office 2010 Professional and Home & Student.

The DVDs have \x64 and \x86 folders - would like to see the new Integrator update both if that is possible. I mention that because I know the RyanVM Integrator will slipstream both XP Pro and XP Pro x64 versions.

Hi Chief
I managed to find an Office 2010 ISO with a similar layout. The disc layout is:-
x64
x86
autorun.inf
setup.exe

Is yours the same?

I will try to add this feature, it will need a lot of code changing about but at the moment all I seem to do is spend ages doing one thing then ages changing the methods.

Is your intention to add all the updates (x64 and x86) at the same time, Service Packs as well and then integrate the whole lot?.

An other question that will assist me is in regards to the location of the updates.
Do you have them all in one folder, segregated into x64\x86 folders or another option.

I also would like to know if you take advantage of TwoJs Office update downloader and use Ketarin to download any updates.

The reason for the questions is that I will need to know these aspects when it comes to saving information to an ini, or when removing updates the OI thinks are obsolete. I don't need to remove them, no harm will be done by either integrating (XP/2003) all of them or copying (2007 - 2013) them to the updates folder only loss of time. Currently ones assumed to be obsolete are unchecked in the list. there will be options to remove them from the list or delete them from the computer.

There isn't much feedback to my posts apart from people like yourself and adric and TwoJ via email so I tend to waste time incorporating functions that are under utilized as they aren't required.

More feedback into how people will use the program will enable me to incorporate different scenarios, those who request will be heard, and those who come after its done will be fucked off :)

Cheers
benners

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi benners,

My discs are exactly as you posted - two folders and two files; with numerous subfolders as you must have noticed.

My preference would be to integrate Service Packs first then any and all updates released after the Service Pack.

At this time I have the x64 and x86 TwoJ Hotpacks in one folder (\Hotpacks) and separate folders: \Hotfixes x64 and \Hotfixes x86 for those hotfixes I've downloaded (the hotfixes at this time are really out of date - see Ketarin).

I have used Ketarin to download all Office updates. Looking at its structure I would assume using it as the source for an updated Office Integrator would be one method and TwoJ's hotpacks another along with downloaded hotfixes. I had to go back and re-read TwoJ's comments about his Office Updates Downloader to refresh my memory.

I still have Office 2000, 2002(XP), 2003, along with 2010 Pro and Home & Student, if needed for future testing.

I have had no reason to try OI 1.2 on Office 2010 - is it compatible? I did start it and selected the Office 2010 Pro setup file - ended up with 2007 being selected, not surprisingly seeing as how the only selections are XP, 2003, and 2007. If I tried it now would it work only for the x86 (32bit) version or both? Just curious?

Also, The 2010 folder structure includes \x64\updates and \x86\updates in which the user is instructed to copy any and all service packs, hotfixes, updates, etc that are to be installed during initial installation. From what I remember being mentioned by Microsoft and others in other forums this is the method Microsoft opted for so 'slipstreaming' and/or 'integrating' would not be necessary; thereby eliminating the need for a program like the Office Integrator. Also, has anyone really tried to integrate the service pack and/or any hotfixes; I know I haven't.
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby benners » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi Chief

My preference would be to integrate Service Packs first then any and all updates released after the Service Pack.

With v2.0 there is only an updates tab. All Service Packs, updates and HotPacks are added to it, extracted and sorted by date then installed in that order. This will see the service packs installed first unless there is an update that is required before the SP install i.e KB967642

TwoJ's idea with Ketarin was to enable people to download the updates for themselves and create their own HotPacks if needed. The Office 2007 and upwards are getting out of control with the size, some are 600MB plus. To release a new pack for what sometimes is only a junk mail filter is a waste of time. i have some code that others have done but I need to try an modify it for office only. With the OI if an update is deemed obsolete it is moved to an obsolete folder. This would probably make Ketarin download it again as it wont see it. I'll have to look at the possibility of modding the Ketarin list.

I have had no reason to try OI 1.2 on Office 2010 - is it compatible? I did start it and selected the Office 2010 Pro setup file - ended up with 2007 being selected, not surprisingly seeing as how the only selections are XP, 2003, and 2007. If I tried it now would it work only for the x86 (32bit) version or both? Just curious?

v1.2 of the OI has a problem with 7 digit KB numbers, it only retrieves 6 of them. I have sorted this and a few other things but with the release of updates that contain multiple msps i.e onenoteloc2010-kb2553290-fullfile-x86-glb.exe (76 msps) this causes a problem. As Office 2007 upwards are only copied to the updates folder there are some updates with the same name that are not superceeded by newer updates that contain files of the same name i.e outlook2010-kb2597090-fullfile-x64-glb.exe and outlookloc2010-kb2687623-fullfile-x64-glb.exe

outlook2010-kb2597090-fullfile-x64-glb.exe contains 1 msp (outlook-x-none.msp)
outlookloc2010-kb2687623-fullfile-x64-glb.exe contains 38 msps one of which is named outlook-x-none.msp so kb2597090 would be overwritten and required for MU to be happy. KB2687623 updates the files updated by KB2597090 but KB2597090 also contained 2 new files that don't need updating so technically KB2687623 doesn't replace KB2597090. Would be easier for me if every update was cumalative :mad:

I still need to make some mods to make v1.2 work correctly with these files, the problem is that the exes are extracted straight to the updates folder so renaming to avoid the overwrite is tricky. Whether the update is x86 or x64 shouldn't matter as long as the extract commands are the same.

Also, The 2010 folder structure includes \x64\updates and \x86\updates in which the user is instructed to copy any and all service packs, hotfixes, updates, etc that are to be installed during initial installation. From what I remember being mentioned by Microsoft and others in other forums this is the method Microsoft opted for so 'slipstreaming' and/or 'integrating' would not be necessary; thereby eliminating the need for a program like the Office Integrator. Also, has anyone really tried to integrate the service pack and/or any hotfixes; I know I haven't.

There is no switch to allow Office 2007 upwards to be slipstreamed like Office XP/2003. As you mentioned MS new method is just to copy them to the folder. This adds to the install time but they must have had there reasons. It would be a lot of messing to do it manually if it is possible at all. Without going to deep. If you look inside an msp, as with an msi, its just a database of tables and files. The files have conditions when and if they are to be installed and registry entries associated with them. It would be hard to setup correctly. i struggle to find a method to determine if one update superseeds another and despite posting i various forums I have had no replies.

People could just copy the updates and there will be no need for the OI. It is obviously all manual and then having to rename like named files to avoid collisions when copying so I think there will still be a need for this or other similar programs. If not, I get loads of time back :cool:
benners

Users Information

Postby adric » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Benners,

Were you aware of this problem with the current OI?

Basically what happens is that some newer fixes are moved to the obsolete directory when using the Build Hotpack option. On one of the hotpacks that I did, out of 3 fixes, 2 were correctly obsoleted and one icorrectly obsoleted.

Al
adric

Users Information

Postby ChiefZeke » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Office 2000 Pro: Two CDs; Updates include: SR1a, SP2, SP3
Office 2002(XP) Pro (Upgrade): One CD plus one CD labelled "Media Content" and one labelled "Step by Step Interactive Training"; upgrades include SP1, SP2
Office 2003 Pro: Two CDs; updates include SP2, SP3
Office 2007: Unknown here
Office 2010 Home & Student, Pro: one DVD that includes 32 and 64 bit versions; updates include SP1
Office 2013: Unknown here
Office 365: Unknown here

Slipstreaming/Integrating options include: Office Integrator 1.2 and Office Slipstreamer 1.7.4.0 (I am not aware of any others).

Office Integrator 1.2 has ability to work on Office 2002(XP), 2003, 2007 (Google search lists it as available for downloading).
Office Slipstreamer 1.7.4.0 has the abiltiy to work on Office 2000, 2002(XP), 2003, 2007 (Google search lists it as available for downloading).

Ketarin provides updates for Office 2002(XP), 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, Compatibility Pack, Viewers. The Ketarin Office Updates Downloader is used to provide a list of required updates; provided by TwoJ ?

Possible procedure:

User copies CDs/DVDs to hard drive partition for access by Office Integrator (OI); or OI copies the source(s) CDs to a \Temp folder or folders as needed. OI should require user to create and point to output; i.e \Office2002(XP)Int (to include final integrated product) and \Office 2002(XP)ISO (if an ISO file is needed). The contents of the \Office2002(XP)Int folder would be copied to a flash driver if that is the the desired output.

OI is started and it goes online to download latest copy of the Ketarin Office Updates Downloader and extracts same to \Ketarin folder; Ketarin is started and proceeds to download all updates listed (may take a while). (Don't know if it's possible to restrict these downloads to the Office version being updated.) I'm assuming superseded updates are deleted during this process.

OI uses Ketarin downloads to fill in information in Service Pack tab, Hotfix tab, Contig1 tab, Contig2 tab. If necessary, user navigates to Ketarin folders containing the downloads and selects the appropriate Viewers\Compatibility Pack(s).

If source is multiple CDs OI should have the ability to integrate updates and merge multiple sources so that the user can create an ISO file to burn a DVD and/or copy the newly integrated source to a flash drive.

If the Service Pack and hotfixes/updates for Office 2007 and later cannot be integrated then the only recourse is to copy all pertinent information to the appropriate \Updates folders (assuming the user copied the DVD to the hard drive) and then, if required, create an ISO or copy everything to a flash drive.

In addition to the above I would also consider a new tab: Addins. I have downloaded many addins that appear to be common to all Office versions: 3dCharts.exe, Access2Converter.exe, ConvertNumberToText.exe, Lookout120.exe, MathEasy.exe, OutlookConnector121.exe, ReaderAddinForWord.exe, RemoveHiddenDataTool11.exe, SmartTagDate&PhoneXML.exe, WordwareForWord.exe, wordweb68.exe, XLAddinSetup.msi (There may be many more - this is those I'm aware of.)
ChiefZeke

Users Information

Postby benners » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 pm

adric wrote:Hi Benners,

Were you aware of this problem with the current OI?

Basically what happens is that some newer fixes are moved to the obsolete directory when using the Build Hotpack option. On one of the hotpacks that I did, out of 3 fixes, 2 were correctly obsoleted and one icorrectly obsoleted.

Al

Hi adric,

I think the problem is related to the OI only using the first six digits of the KB number. That has been sorted but determining whether the updates are obsolete is becoming a real pain. I have a few options:-
1 - Latest build has an additional check to query the OfficeIntegrator.ini file to see if any kb numbers are listed in a [NotObsolete] section. if found they will be renamed and added.
2 - Don't bother checking for obsolete and let the user make sure the correct updates are selected
3 - try to silently download the support page for the kbnumber and check if there is mention of updates replacing or being replaced.

I still cannot find a way or understand how the updates are determined to be obsolete. XP/2003 isn't really a problem they will just be integrated anyway but later versions copy to the updates folder so same named files will be overwritten and may be listed as required on MU. I don't know whether MS want people to use the updates folder or just keep it updated via MU, surely they most know that updates such as word2013-kb2760244-fullfile-x86-glb.exe and wordloc2013-kb2752073-fullfile-x86-glb.exe both contain a file named word-x-none.msp so when extracted to the updates folder one will be overwritten.

If they are to be renamed there must be a sequence to rename them. I used to add the kb number to the file name but TwoJ has had problems with 2013 saying certain updates are missing so the current one cannot be installed. I shall just have to append the patch sequence number to file name.[color="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

[/color]
ChiefZeke wrote:Office 2000 Pro: Two CDs; Updates include: SR1a, SP2, SP3
Office 2002(XP) Pro (Upgrade): One CD plus one CD labelled "Media Content" and one labelled "Step by Step Interactive Training"; upgrades include SP1, SP2
Office 2003 Pro: Two CDs; updates include SP2, SP3
Office 2007: Unknown here
Office 2010 Home & Student, Pro: one DVD that includes 32 and 64 bit versions; updates include SP1
Office 2013: Unknown here
Office 365: Unknown here

Enought there to test thanks Chief

User copies CDs/DVDs to hard drive partition for access by Office Integrator (OI); or OI copies the source(s) CDs to a \Temp folder or folders as needed. OI should require user to create and point to output; i.e \Office2002(XP)Int (to include final integrated product) and \Office 2002(XP)ISO (if an ISO file is needed). The contents of the \Office2002(XP)Int folder would be copied to a flash driver if that is the the desired output.

Yes that's similar to how I envision it.
User selects the source. Either a setup.exe or a folder
Selected files and folders are scanned to see if they are Office setups of Viewer setups. If checks are passed the product information will be retrieved and displayed.

User selects a destination. Selection is checked for validity (Exists, writable, accessible etc) and if checks are passed, added. If folder isn't empty it will be during integration dependent on selected integration method.

Service Packs and updates\HotPacks are selected via the same tab, extracted and information retrieved. maybe checked to see if they have been replaced.

Integration is started and source files are copied to the selected destination, updates integrated or copied and if an iso has been selected, burned to disc.

OI is started and it goes online to download latest copy of the Ketarin Office Updates Downloader and extracts same to \Ketarin folder; Ketarin is started and proceeds to download all updates listed (may take a while). (Don't know if it's possible to restrict these downloads to the Office version being updated.) I'm assuming superseded updates are deleted during this process.

OI uses Ketarin downloads to fill in information in Service Pack tab, Hotfix tab, Contig1 tab, Contig2 tab. If necessary, user navigates to Ketarin folders containing the downloads and selects the appropriate Viewers\Compatibility Pack(s).

With Ketarin, TwoJ has to physically get the links from MU after each patch Tuesday and input them into Ketarin. This is very time consuming, if anyone wants to know how consuming, either ask him or try it yourself. I would prefer someway of using WSUS to check for updates and download the appropriate ones if they were not already available. Still looking at this but it normally requires the product to be installed and checks installed updates against MS servers (I think). It may be possible to get a list of all the updates for an Office version then check if the user has them locally. If not download them.

If source is multiple CDs OI should have the ability to integrate updates and merge multiple sources so that the user can create an ISO file to burn a DVD and/or copy the newly integrated source to a flash drive.

Anything specific? i.e AIO discs or updating each single disc?. For AIO creations it will be similar to the Original OI. Select a folder with, i.e for Office 2003, the other applications like FrontPage, and it will be scanned and the setups found.

If the Service Pack and hotfixes/updates for Office 2007 and later cannot be integrated
They cannot

In addition to the above I would also consider a new tab: Addins. I have downloaded many addins that appear to be common to all Office versions: 3dCharts.exe, Access2Converter.exe, ConvertNumberToText.exe, Lookout120.exe, MathEasy.exe, OutlookConnector121.exe, ReaderAddinForWord.exe, RemoveHiddenDataTool11.exe, SmartTagDate&PhoneXML.exe, WordwareForWord.exe, wordweb68.exe, XLAddinSetup.msi (There may be many more - this is those I'm aware of.)
I had a look at a few and they were inno setup types so not easily integrated. They would have to be chained after the office installation, that is if I keep the ability to do chained installs with future releases. The threads I started asking about functions, this one included, have had plenty of views but only yours and adrics' good selves have responded. Either interest is waning with the long wait between versions or people don't need the program so I have stripped a few bits out.

It's not a no but not a yes on the Addins tab :)
benners

Users Information

Next

Return to Office Integrator