OEM Activation in VM

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

OEM Activation in VM

Postby clarko71 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi, I'm using OEMSCAN_ADDON_MULTIOEM v1.8 with great success for all my client installs - what a great tool.

I do have a problem with activation in VM's though. Currently using VM-Ware and have added "SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE" to my VMX file to try to get OEM activation to work, but it will not activate. I know that the product key and my install disk works when installed onto the raw hardware, just not in a VM. Odd thing is that I think I managed to get it working once by randomly fiddling around post install, but can't replicate it now.

Does anyone know (and can share) how to get OEM Activation to work in a VM - even in a different VM, I'm not fixed on using VM-Ware? I've included my log file below.

Separately - Is source code available for the tools here and how are they compiled?

Any help appreciated,
Rod

OEMBIOS autodetection script by Mr_Smartepants
v1.8.5.1 Apr 18, 2009
Do NOT pirate Microsoft software
Be certain you are installing this OS on properly licensed OEM hardware
Verify the OS type with the Certificate of Authenticity attached to this PC
Mr_Smartepants will not be held liable if YOU violate any copyright law
by installing this OS on an unlicensed PC
DOSPATH=D:\
ARCH=I386
PID=786F687170637175716954806365EF
PID=76487OEM
Windows XP Professional Edition detected
Scanning for matching XP Pro BIOS string and writing product key.
OEMBIOS Scanner v1.4.1 by Jeremy (xehqter)

Reading BIOS Memory

Matched: Dell Inc
Checking Authenticity of OEMBIOS files
Validating: D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.BIN : PASSED
Validating: D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.SIG : PASSED
Validating: D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.DAT : PASSED
OEMBIOS files pass Validation

Importing D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.CAT : Successful
Copying D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.DAT : Successful
Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.DAT : Successful
Copying D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.SIG : Successful
Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.SIG : Successful
Copying D:\OEM\FILESETS\XP\B6F0EEFD\OEMBIOS.BIN : Successful
Copying C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\OEMBIOS.BIN : Successful

Running: D:\OEM\KEYS\XP\XP_PRO\SetKey 11111-22222-33333-44444-55555 : Successful
Attempting to move OEM logo files from "D:\OEM\Logos\Dell"
clarko71

Users Information

I should have luck like that

Postby Carbon Based Unit » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I read and followed Mr Smartpants rules, with what should be a fairly sinple case: installing a genuine OEM XP Pro into an eMachine. But no, the invariable error message is "cannot find entries*.ini -- quitting."

This happens no matter what combination of RVMi and nLite I use. I know I've entered my data correctly and that I'm performing a legal and well practised act, but I always get the same failure message.

Meanwhile a folder containing the OEMSCAN of MrSmartepants does lodge itself into the starting lineup of folders. Is there some way to tweak that so it will work? All of my installs bring back the dreaded activation requirement.
Carbon Based Unit

Users Information

Integrating Multi-OEM

Postby clarko71 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Carbon Based Unit wrote:I read and followed Mr Smartpants rules, with what should be a fairly sinple case: installing a genuine OEM XP Pro into an eMachine. But no, the invariable error message is "cannot find entries*.ini -- quitting."

Not really an expert, but that INI file gets used by the integration tool. If you get a message saying it can't find the thing, then the end result is going to be bad.

You must use RVMI, not nLite, I think for this stuff and you must make sure that the INI file is in the root of the 7Z file you create once you've added your keys to the set.

Hope that helps...
clarko71

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Did you recompress the addon using 7-zip? Can you post your RVMi log file?
The ".ini not found" error was solved in this post: http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740
1337 wrote:Ok, so you compressed the "filesets", "keys", "logos", and "svcpack" folders individually? Did you also compress "Entries_OEMScan_MULTIOEM.ini" as well?

11. Recompress the Entries_OEMScan_MULTIOEM.ini file and all the folders with 7zip into a single archive so that it has the filename OEMSCAN_1.4.1_MR_SMARTEPANTS_ADDON_MULTIOEM_1.8x.7 z.
12. Integrate this addon using Siginet's RVMIntegrator only. Do NOT use nLite.
13. Enjoy.

@clarko71. I don't know, I don't use vmware.
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar! OEMSCAN pre-activation addon for OEM XP & 2003
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby clarko71 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

mr_smartepants wrote:
@clarko71. I don't know, I don't use vmware.

Thanks for the reply - can/have you (or anyone else) got activation working with ANY virtualised environment? Am I hoping for too much?

Rod
clarko71

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:46 am

I use VirtualBox, and to be honest, my builds never last longer than a week. I'm constantly making changes and testing in VM. I sometimes get VB to activate, but not often.
It's just not a priority for me.
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar! OEMSCAN pre-activation addon for OEM XP & 2003
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Thanks

Postby clarko71 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:55 pm

OK, thanks. Mostly mine don't last long either, but one of the things I like to test it Windows Updates which doesn't like machines that haven't been activated.

Thanks for you efforts with this product, just wish I'd found it earlier - saves me heaps of time a mucking around!

Rod
clarko71

Users Information

Postby urie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 am

Check out
Code: Select all
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/11152-VMware-Workstation-%28Multi-Brand%29-Bios-Installer

VMware Workstation/Player (Multi-Brand) Bios Installer

-----!!!!! ENGLISH/USA ONLY !!!!!-----
(patcher looks for English Only file directories & binres 6006 files have en/usa language ID's)

VMware W'Stn v6-7.x & Player v3.x [Windows] (Multi-Brand/Version) Bios Installer

Works on VMware W'Stn (v6-7.x) & Player (v3.x)[Windows]

This tool will auto-detect location of vmware-vmx.exe and directly patch BINRES 6006 bios file with whatever brand you select from the menu.

It works fine with older and newer versions of VMware Workstation as it disregards CRC checking of the file it's patching (x32 or 64bit).

How To Use:-

1. Make sure VMware W'Stn (v6-7.x) or VM Player (v3.x) is turned off (can't patch a file if it's in use).
2. Double-click the Installer and make your selection .... it will confirm done, seconds later.
3. VMware should now run with the bios file you selected.

Note:- on first use a "back-up" copy of your vmware-vmx.exe is made and confirmation of it's location displayed ... if for any reason you wish to return to an untouched state, you have the ability to just manually overwrite vmware-vmx.exe in your Program Files with your untouched back-up copy.

I have my own Vmware patched for dell OEM SLP 1.0 and SLIC 2.1.
urie

Users Information

Thanks for the suggestion

Postby clarko71 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Urie,
That looks interesting, think I'll try it out...

Not sure it's strictly legal, but my only intention is to get Dell SLP to work on Dell hardware. I hope it's not full of spyware or anything.

Rod
clarko71

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 pm

As a general rule, we don't refer anyone to "that site" because of all the pirate activity there. VirtualBox uses an .xml file to load DMI bios info for the OEM portion. I'm sure VMware does something similar.
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Next

Return to The OEM A.C.T.