SLP Key Question

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

SLP Key Question

Postby tomatthe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:34 am

I've been reading through this forum and searching around others for more information on this project and it seems like a very useful system. We are constantly referring people to their manufacture to get recovery media which they are never very pleased with and it would be great if we could legally reinstall the os for them.

From what I understand this project is an attempt to be able to do just that in installing software on different branded machines using the oem keys along with some special file setup that match the manufacture.

I also see post everywhere explaining that it is illegal to distribute those keys, but they are required to be able to use this setup. I do have access to different machines and I guess I could pull the keys off them and hope its the oem key, but this also seems pretty shady and the idea is to be able to do this legally.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not quite getting how it's possible to use this without somehow illegally getting the keys to begin with?
tomatthe

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:25 am

First, there's nothing shady about how the oemscan addon works. It utilizes Microsoft's documented methods for Royalty OEMs.

Well, lets put it another way.
If you have access to the affected OEM system, then you have access to the SLP key. So you can include that key and any other keys for other OEM systems in your possesion to the oemscan addon.

If you DON'T own the OEM system in question, then legally you cannot use that SLP key. The COA sticker on the outside of the OEM case is what tells you what OS license you are legally able to use on that system. The key on the COA sticker is NOT a valid SLP key, so don't even try to use it.

So an example of an illegal use of an SLP key would be to install XP Pro on an OEM system with a COA sticker authorizing XP Home.

It's a catch-22 with the SLP keys. We can't provide them because we can't ensure that the keys wouldn't be abused. But If the system is dead, you can't easily extract them.

I have a utility that will allow you to extract the OEM key from any running system to a .txt file. If I remember, I'll try to upload it.
*Edit. Uploaded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar! OEMSCAN pre-activation addon for OEM XP & 2003
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby tomatthe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the update.

I'll start compiling a list of them from the machines we have checked in.
tomatthe

Users Information

Postby user_hidden » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 pm

actually if you have legal OEM SLP you can use Microsofts key which can be distributed as they post it. specific SLP manufacturer keys is another story which is why they are not posted.

here is the link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx

:cool:
user_hidden

Users Information

Return to The OEM A.C.T.