Picking up the torch... Sigi I need your input

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

Picking up the torch... Sigi I need your input

Postby SSX4life » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:02 am

I'm wanting to pick up the torch for the OEM Scan addon's you made previously. I know that Smartypants has his method, but I at least want to get your addons up to 1.4 from 1.3.

Little help is needed however, so I'm just trying to make sure I have this right.

Entries_OEMScan_Dell.ini

Code: Select all
[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,Dell System,Dell System
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,Dell Computer,Dell Computer
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,Dell Inc,Dell Inc

[AddProgram]
OEMSCAN.BAT

[Dell System]
PATH=".\Dell\"
CMD=""

[Dell Computer]
PATH=".\Dell\"
CMD=""

[Dell Inc]
PATH=".\Dell\"
CMD=""

[FileMove]
SVCPACK\Dell\OEMBIOS.*,..\OEM\Dell\*
SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.EXE,..\OEM\OEMSCAN.EXE
SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.INI,..\OEM\OEMSCAN.INI

[DirDelete]
SVCPACK\Dell

#1. The [editfile] menu requires a separate line for EACH CRC correct? So if a Fujitsu system has 3 different bios strings I would need to do the following....

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,Fujitsu Siemens,Fujitsu Siemens
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,FSC System,FSC System
I386\SVCPACK\OEMSCAN.ini,FSC Server,FSC Server

What about an oem manufacturer that has multiple strings? How do I properly handle that. I know that the Gateway / Emachines ..... and Fujitsu / Siemens are the only 2 companies that have multiple strings from what I can see.

#2. The OEMscan.ini file looks a bit odd for the dell, everyting is commented out. Is this on purpose?

;
;   Dell OEMBIOS Files CRC32 = B6F0EEFD
;   SLP = Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System,Dell Inc
;

#3. Do I need to update the oemscan.bat file? Have we made improvements up on it since 1.4? For example, running the file not only from CD / DVD but also from say a flash drive or network location. Currently it only shows %CDROM%

CMDOW @ /HID
@ECHO OFF
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z :) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\OEM\OEMSCAN.EXE > "%SystemRoot%\Temp\oemscan.log"

That's just about it... ^_^ Thanks... get back to me!
SSX4life

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Actually my last stable releases were 1.4 I think.

My 1.7 Betas had a lot of potential. But the only thing I didn't like is they Activated at Runonce... which meant you had to restart before they actually took effect.

Ideally I'd like to mess around with using ChkPids.exe at the presetup stage to find the correct SLP key and Edition. Then copy the correct oembios.* files.

The theory I have sounds good... but I never made a batch file to actually do it.

It may even be possible for it to work at the T13 Stage.

As for the %CDROM%... all that is ... is a variable. It could actually find the files on the usb... as long as the usb is fully recognized by the system. Because actually what that script is doing is checking every drive letter fo "[DriveLetter]:\WIN51" and sets that drive as %CDROM%. So if your cd does not contain "WIN51" at the root... then it could find it on your USB if that file is placed at the root. ;)
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Return to The OEM A.C.T.