[Release] The OEM ACT

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

[Release] The OEM ACT

Postby Siginet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 am

These addons are now obsolete. Please use the OEMSCAN Addons instead.

[CENTER]Siginet's OEM ACT
OEM Activation Control Technology[/CENTER]

This is for those of us computer techs that are sick and tired of installing a clients computer system and having to call microsoft to activate a valid OEM system. What this does is allows you to place manufacturer specific oembios.* files on your disks that are used during setup to replace the default ones that originally come on a windows disk. During installation a program is ran that reads the computers bios to determine what manufacturer it is. Then it determines which oembios.* files are needed when installing the system. It copies the correct files and then the computer will be pre-activated. This should significantly reduce the amount of times you need to call microsoft to activate.

This is not using any hacked files. This is a legal way of creating a universal manufacture disk to install systems which have a valid OEM license from a Royalty OEM like Dell HP Sony Compaq etc...

This project is based off of Bezalel's idea in this thread:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71016&hl=oembios

[center:acf04dc409]=====================================================[/center:acf04dc409]

Downloads:
RVMIntegrator Addons:
The files must be integrated with my RVM Integrator program.
[hide]

MultiOEM_ACER_ADDON.7z
MD5: A966258868B235591BC3EB832E111DF2

MultiOEM_ADVENT_ADDON.7z
MD5: 8154C84CC1A8689EE7C673345CC845E8

MultiOEM_BENQ_ADDON.7z v1.1
MD5: EABB1423E52E5E32FB90CF22AC4B5043

MultiOEM_DELL_ADDON.7z
MD5: 70D90A01F67224C2010117F91E465602

MultiOEM_EMA_GATE_ADDON.7z (Emachines and Gateway)
MD5: D19BCDEA69A1657AFD702427CA62B217

MultiOEM_EQUUS_ADDON.7z
MD5: 754745EDFC827303D3C8B65AED999CB8

MultiOEM_FOUNDER_ADDON.7z
MD5: 11FFFEC0C0DCCC2DA18CAEC3F85A8949

MultiOEM_HPCOMPAQ_ADDON.7z (HP and Compaq)
MD5: 077B1C2D768AC57C7DFBE44D67A49691

If you want to manually use the tool you can download it by itself here:
OEMBIOS.EXE v0.3
MD5: F532D9AA5A76717BEA867B404DEEC6D4

[/hide]
Basically how you make it work is this:
First off you need to get a Royalty OEM Serial number. This is not the windows serial number you find on the sticker on the outside of the computer case. It is a windows xp serial number you would find in a winnt.sif file on a royalty oem install disk. Like a dell installation cd. Or you can use a program like keyfinder to find out the serial number used to install the computer. As long as it was installed by the manufacturer you should be fine. ;) Now make sure you add that key to your own winnt.sif file. You can search msfn for info about the winnt.sif file if you need help with it. For legal reasons I do not feel comfortable posting any of those keys here.

Then just use the RVM Integrator to integrate these addons to your disk and that's it.

Or if you want to use it manually just get the oembios.exe file and make your own oembios.ini file.

Basically there are 2 sections of the oembios.ini file.

Here is a sample oembios.ini file:

[Settings]
OEMFilesPath=OEMFILES

[SystemData]
AcerSystem=ACER\717B6EF3
DIXONSXP=ADVENT\221C8416
ASUS_FLASH=ASUS\B20C65BF
BenQHub=BENQ\B55014F0
Dell System=DELL\B6F0EEFD
Dell Computer=DELL\B6F0EEFD
Dell Inc=DELL\B6F0EEFD
Dell Quanta=DELL\87870F5A
BIOSLOCKFUNCTION=ELITEGRP\8EE1223C
EMACHINES=EMA_GATE\C86378C7
Gateway=EMA_GATE\C86378C7
Equus=EQUUS\0D59FC53
Founder PC=FOUNDER\3A0C0121
FUJITSU-PC=FUJITSU\9CF90CA8
FUJITSU SIEMENS=FUJITSU\E161F004
FSC SYSTEM=FUJITSU\E161F004
FSC SERVER=FUJITSU\E161F004
HEDYCOMPUTER=HEDY\162C7931
Compaq=HPCOMPAQ\CD4E1902
Hewlett=HPCOMPAQ\CD4E1902
HP PAVILION=HPCOMPAQ\06D652A4
HP Pavilion=HPCOMPAQ\06D652A4
IBM CORPORATION=IBM\D7A77612
Lan Plus=LANPLUS\FDAA5E8B
LEGEND Dragon=LEGEND\7B06BD13
LENOVO=LENOVO\5237B729
MAXDATA=MAXDATA\608BC835
MEDIONPC=MEDIONPC\06485F9D
MEDIONNB=MEDIONPC\06485F9D
NECC_=NEC\E32D3612
NEC-PC=NEC\E32D3612
NEC Computers=NEC\E32D3612
NEC_Product=NEC\E32D3612
$SAMSUNGPC,E710-E810=SAMSUNG\904CF15A
Sony Corporation=SONY\376E13C7
SYSFIC=SYSFIC\15367043
TCL123=TCL\D99F7B12
TOSHIBA=TOSHIBA\A16F9D62
TRIGEM=TRIGEM\DFD180D2
TSINGHUA TONGFANG COMPUTER=TSINGHUA\7870B3C6

The settings section is for giving a manufacturer directory path (from the root of the disk). OEMFilesPath is the command needed then = OEM is the path I wish to have my Manufacturer directories located. For instance this would be "X:\OEM\HPCOMPAQ" (X meaning the drives letter.) If the [Settings] section is left blank or not in the oembios.ini file at all then oembios.exe automatically looks for the manufacturer directories from within the same directory as oembios.exe. I set these addons to place the files within the OEM directory on the root of the disk so that it is placed within the same directory as Wim Leer's Driverpacks. This way it is also compatable with Windows XP PowerPacker as well (Not yet tested though). ;)

The SystemData section is where the magic is though.
Basically the red section is where you list a string to be searched for in the systems bios.
(OPTIONAL) The green area is where you specify a location to search for the bios string in the bios.
The darkblue area is the path of the directory where you want to grab the manufacturers oembios.* files from for a system having a matching bios string. If you setup your oembios.* file correctly then you will easily be able to install your clients systems without having to activate. :D
[center:acf04dc409]=====================================================[/center:acf04dc409]

For those of you that have found some other bios strings that I have not included... or if you create any other MultiOEM Addons please do submit them here. An advanced member can read through the files and determine how to create their own addons. Or you can submit some files for me to create an addon for you by submitting the oembios.* files needed, the bios strings and the manufacturer name(s) it can be used for. You can get a lot of this info from Bezalel's thread in the top of this post. I will be adding more of these addons as well... but I think this is enough to get you all started. ;)

Oh and one more thing... A log file is placed in %SystemDrive%\Windows\Temp\OEM_.log

If a computer copies the oembios.* files to the system but the preactivation fails then please report the info found in this log file.

History:
I just released v0.3.

In this version I have added the possibility to specify a specific area to search in the bios per Manufacturer String. This should help with certain filesets that have to find a string in a specific area. Like Gateway and Dell.

You have the choice to specify an area or not. If you don't specify an area it will default to the original area of search (0000-FFFF)

For instance if you used:
Hewlett,0000-FFF0=HPCOMPAQ\CD4E1902

Hewlett Represents the string in the bios to search for.
,0000-FFF0 Is Optional. It represents the area of the bios to search. The example above means to search between [F000:0000 - F000:FFF0]
HPCOMPAQ\CD4E1902 is the path, (From the root of the disk), to the oembios.* fileset you wish to use on a computer matching this bios string.

I am also showing the area searched and the areas the bios strings were found into the "%SystemDrive%\WINDOWS\Temp\OEM_.log" file.
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby ricktendo64 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Cool! 8)
ImageImageImage
ricktendo64

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:10 pm

I am working on finishing a better version of the program. ;) So be on the lookout. The new version will be much simpler to maintain.
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 am

Updated to v0.2. Completley new scheme. I updated the post with the new info.
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Thanks!

Postby theuni » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:57 pm

i've been wanting a way to do this for a long time now. This will eliminate my need to create dell/compaq/gateway/etc. multi-boot disks. I'll be following the status of this one daily!

btw, what kind of disk should we be using for this? A gold OEM, i presume?
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 pm

I would probably use just a regular OEM disk. Not specific to any manufacturer. In the future I want to also implement a way to have multiple OEM product keys as well. So when the manufacturer is found the correct manufacturer key is installed as well. But for now all you need is one Royalty OEM Product Key. Like one from a dell disk. This is much more effeciant than a multiboot disk filled with every type of manufacturer on it. ;) But remember each set of oembios.* files are about 12 MB. That can add up. The project is still in it's infantsy as well. There will be improvments I promise.

Enjoy!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby theuni » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:45 pm

i'm sure there will and i'd be happy to help.

12megs of oembios is probably less overhead than making a separate cd for each, anyway. What's your advice on making a multiboot cd like this that is combined with retail and upgrade?

I guess the easiest way would be to make a Home OEM w/ your extensions, Home Retail, Pro OEM w/ your extensions, PRO Retail, Home Upgrade, and Pro Upgrade.

Really isnt that bad, 6 cd multi-boot for all possible situations. Is this pretty much what you're planning on doing?
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:54 pm

What do you mean by extensions?

You may also enjoy the latest advanced features of powerpacker where you can specify multiple winnt.sif files for each pack. ;)

I would place a copy of each OS on the disk. Pro Upgrade OEM Retail and Corp, Home Upgrade OEM and Retail. Which would make 9 OSes.

I tend to use DVDs nowadays. But some computers don't have a dvd drive. So I carry an extra DVD Rom drive around with me in this case.

You don't want to cram too much on a cd... cause I notice read errors sometimes if you have too much on it.

When I make cd versions I usually break them up into Home and Pro cds. So I end up having 2 cds to rule them all. ;)

With the new OEM ACT we are well on our way for a true Universal Windows XP Install disk. :D
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby theuni » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:17 pm

yea

I'm with you on the cd thing. probably 20% of pcs i work on dont have dvd drives, so i want as much as possible on 1 disk. I like the idea of doing 1 disk rather than 2 just for convenience sake. I Think i can cram it all, i've been able in the past. This will make it a ton easier though. It may take a few hours one weekend a month or so, but this saves me many more hours working on pcs.

I really appreciate all your work, btw.

If you work in vb or c++ i'd be happy to help out, i know both well.
theuni

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:23 pm

Actually I code in autoit for the time being. But sometimes I use small scripts created in vb etc...

So I will keep you in mind. ;)
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Next

Return to The OEM A.C.T.