Need some guidance on Oemscan beta 2

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

Need some guidance on Oemscan beta 2

Postby gospeed.racer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:13 pm

I have been told that it is easier to use this version (I have been trying mr_smartepants' version with decent results) with a disc containing multiple OS. Well, so far I am baffled by the lack of example- since only HP and Compaq are shown, and they are pretty much related, I am confused on a few points.

First off, parallel to the SVCPACK folder is a file called "Entries_OEMScan_HPQ.ini". Inside I would have expected to put all my entries, yet since "HPQ" is in the title, does this mean that I have a different .ini for each manufacturer? Entries_OEMScan_Dell.ini, for example? If so, how are these files named, is it up to me or is it something that the program is expecting to see?

Second, when I title my folders, for example yours are named "Compaq, HPQ, and Pavillion" how do I know what mine will need to be titled? For example, I see Acer referred to as "Travelmate, Acer, and AcerS" Where are people getting this from?

Another confusing part for me, are the oembios files supposed to be extracted or compressed? If extracted, what is the preferred method, as a google search has not provided a clear way to extract them, only compress them.

When I used the mr_smartepants' version, I had to compress the files when finished into a 7z file, and integrate into my install- I have not seen any tutorials on how to integrate yours...is it the same?

Lastly, I do not have oemlogos, can I just delete the entries in the ostype.ini file?

Thank you for all your help, I am sorry for all the questions, but I am very unclear as to where people are finding this info!
gospeed.racer

Users Information

Postby gospeed.racer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 pm

nevermind...I went back to my old "tried and true" methods, and the disc is working great. Once oemscan is explained in more depth, or more examples are given I think I will understand how it is laid out better. For now, I will use the K.I.S.S method :D
gospeed.racer

Users Information

Return to The OEM A.C.T.