Legit E-Machines SLP wont activate?

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

Postby mr_smartepants » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:53 am

Then it's not an Emachines or Gateway bios.
Try running the ComputerInfoKey.EXE (not the .bat file) in this post:
http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2641&postcount=8

It will tell you the bios string on that system.
mr_smartepants

Users Information

eh?

Postby insomnai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 am

So when using the debug command it will only do something if it finds a file of the same name specified? Not even a "Nowt ere mate" message or anything? Well, that sucks lol.

Thanks for the comeback tho mate.

Gonna play with that and see what happens.

Actually, I just tried it with my own system. I know it's a standalone system which will be a type 3 OEM system builder key (Hey, I sound intelligent there...) but wanted to know what kind of anwer I got.

Currently, My setup is running on a Maximus Formula mainboard so I tried the

debug
-S F000:0000 FFFF "Maximus Formula"

and this is what came out...

F000:0754
F000:07DC

What do these codes mean? Anything special?

I also ran the same code on the EMachines and obviously nothing came back, so that means that there is no mention of EMachines or Gateway anywhere in the bios? Which is why the preactivation wouldn't work? Like freestyler said, wrong mainboard. Does this mean that the recovery that is included in the hard drive contains the wrong oembios information, which doesn't match the mainboard therefore activation fails using the slp key?

I think I'm almost there in the understanding part.

I got this from the Emachines system (was in an earlier post but it was long so you may have missed it...)

Manufacturer: P4i6G
Model: P4i65G
50346936 47

Ok, I have to ask this. If a manufacturer uses an oembios for preactivation on a specific set of boards, can ANY slp code be used? Obviously it's better if an SLP is matched up to a particular brand but for the sake of understanding... Would I be right in presuming this?

Regards

Insomnai

Oh last thing. I know I said that this is an EMachines system, but why would MGADiag show the slpbios as "gateway,gateway,gateway,gateway"? Does this mean that there are files in my current windows installation that are asking for the mainboard with "gateway" in the bios string?
insomnai

Users Information

Postby FreeStyler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:40 am

Sorry bro, not going to answer all these, most you have already asked using pm... if you really don't understand anything of this i think it's just not suitable for you!

read more, ask less
FreeStyler

Users Information

wtf?

Postby insomnai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 am

Freestyler, you asked me to ask Smartypants about this, which i can't do as he doesn't have pm function.

Also mate, i think you're being a bit out of order. I've only been looking into this for a couple of days, I don't have a programming background, I'm a technician who wants to make my life easier. Nothing more, nothing less.

All I'm asking for is understanding and clarification. Repeatedly telling me to use the tools tells me naff all when all I want to know what the tools do and why they're used and what the output is used for.

To set something straight also, I ran your tool on a couple of machines that came back in for repair. I looked at the output and obviously it's out of my league as those numbers mean NOTHING to me whatsoever. So I loaded up the oem repository. Now, in your output, there is mention of a DIXONSXP as the manufacturer and model. So, I look at the repository and hey presto, there is a downloadable oembios link there next to the tags DIXONSXP. I look at the series of numbers and letters and did a search finding 3 matches in the oembios.cat sections? Does this make sense to you?

Lastly, Smartypants wrote "It will tell you the bios string on that system." using the tool. Which one is the bios string? the manufacturer, the model or the series of numbers underneath? Now in the DIXONSXP case it's kinda hard to get it wrong, but with "Compaq Presiario 061" and "EZ001AA-ABU SR1939UK GB630" what the hell do I look for in the repository?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit cos I think I figured it out...

Reversing what I did before, I used freestylers tool and looked at the output in the .ini file. after oembios.cat there was a crc "06D652A4" for the "compaq presario 061" which I mentioned above. Then ran a search for the "06D652A4" which found the "Hewlett Packard" oembios files.

So hopefully I have this right in presuming that if I was to make an integrated set with the "Hewlett Packard" oembios files labled "06D652A4", I can get the system to pre-activate using the SLP I obtained through the .ini file?

If this could be answered it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
insomnai

Users Information

Postby FreeStyler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 am

insomnai wrote:Freestyler, you asked me to ask Smartypants about this, which i can't do as he doesn't have pm function.

mmm, none off these questions are related to his OEM addon, no clue what you are talking about...

insomnai wrote:Also mate, i think you're being a bit out of order. I've only been looking into this for a couple of days, I don't have a programming background, I'm a technician who wants to make my life easier. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to know, i already pointed out the 4 topics on MSFN, if you really want to know, start by reading these post
You can't expect us to explain everything to you, if you know how much time i put in this you understand it can not be explained overnight
Do like Smartypants, or how do you call him :) put a lot off your time in it, read & learn...ask him how his wife feels about OEM preactivation :) :)

insomnai wrote:All I'm asking for is understanding and clarification. Repeatedly telling me to use the tools tells me naff all when all I want to know what the tools do and why they're used and what the output is used for.

Same story... read more, ask less

insomnai wrote:To set something straight also, I ran your tool on a couple of machines that came back in for repair. I looked at the output and obviously it's out of my league as those numbers mean NOTHING to me whatsoever.

these are all type of hashes, you know what hashes are don't you?

insomnai wrote:So I loaded up the oem repository. Now, in your output, there is mention of a DIXONSXP as the manufacturer and model. So, I look at the repository and hey presto, there is a downloadable oembios link there next to the tags DIXONSXP. I look at the series of numbers and letters and did a search finding 3 matches in the oembios.cat sections? Does this make sense to you?

Yes, that means you can use that oembios set on that computer, as that set is already collected the tool doesn't collect them, no need to exchange sets already in our possession.

insomnai wrote:Lastly, Smartypants wrote "It will tell you the bios string on that system." using the tool. Which one is the bios string? the manufacturer, the model or the series of numbers underneath? Now in the DIXONSXP case it's kinda hard to get it wrong, but with "Compaq Presiario 061" and "EZ001AA-ABU SR1939UK GB630" what the hell do I look for in the repository?

Sometimes it's in the DMI part, sometimes it's not, depending on manufacturer.
if that tool finds a match you can activate with corresponding oembios set (The set CRC hash is displayed)
FreeStyler

Users Information

Postby FreeStyler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am

insomnai wrote:Oh last thing. I know I said that this is an EMachines system, but why would MGADiag show the slpbios as "gateway,gateway,gateway,gateway"? Does this mean that there are files in my current windows installation that are asking for the mainboard with "gateway" in the bios string?

These are the first 4 strings read from the oembios set, this particular set has much more possible strings....both for Gateway AND eMachines.
FreeStyler

Users Information

Thanks bud.

Postby insomnai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 am

No really, thanks. Things ARE starting to make sense now i'm seing a pattern in the way things look. Sorry if you thought I was being harsh, it's only because I really want to know how to do this and I don't like not understanding.

I have looked over the links you gave me repeatedly, eventually I'll click with something I didn't understand before and move on to the next bit. I'm almost there.... Honest.

Also, I can appreciate that you guys have put tons of time into this and probably don't know everything yourselves. I don't like being a spectator hehehe :mrgreen:...

I edited my last post because I thought i figured something out with that EMachines but then checked again and lost it.

The emachines output in the ini file shows "OEMBIOS.CAT=CRC:C86378C7" so I looked for C86378C7 in the repository. It found a match which was the massive Gateway..... EMACHINES text. So Ok, I have oembios files...

Do I take it that the .ini file only refers to files on the recovery partition that has been ported into the windows installation and that the mainboard should either have "Gateway" or "EMACHINES" in the bios string?

I know lots of questions but i'm off to play World of Warcraft in a minute to take my frustrations out on the Horde.

:p Again, many thanks and regards

Insomnai
insomnai

Users Information

Postby FreeStyler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:54 am

insomnai wrote:The emachines output in the ini file shows "OEMBIOS.CAT=CRC:C86378C7" so I looked for C86378C7 in the repository. It found a match which was the massive Gateway..... EMACHINES text. So Ok, I have oembios files...

Do I take it that the .ini file only refers to files on the recovery partition that has been ported into the windows installation and that the mainboard should either have "Gateway" or "EMACHINES" in the bios string?

I know lots of questions but i'm off to play World of Warcraft in a minute to take my frustrations out on the Horde.

:p Again, many thanks and regards

Insomnai

the ini? i expect you mean to ini output by ComputerInfoKey util?
Yes, you are right these just give some basic knowledge about the oembios files on the system.

By using debug you can find if the motherboard holds a SLP string.
-S F000:0000 FFFF "[SLP string]"

@MSFN severach posted a tool that automaticly finds valid SLP strings, eg:
OEMBIOS.ZIP
This tool is created with the hashes, ComputerInfoKey returns. thats why all these hashes are being collected :)

i've put valid in bold above as you mentioned "Maximus Formula"
This is not a valid SLP string (it's not in kutslist), its just a manufacturer string in the bios.
FreeStyler

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Wow, I go away for a few hours for dinner and to put my daughters to bed and all hell breaks loose! :mrgreen:
Glad to hear you guys got everything figured out. I'm still wrestling with my wireless connection that just took a sh*t. :mad:
insomnai wrote:I know lots of questions but i'm off to play World of Warcraft in a minute to take my frustrations out on the Horde.

Well, I bought the Orange Box two months ago and I still haven't had time to even install it yet, let alone play it.
mr_smartepants

Users Information

hehehehe

Postby insomnai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah I know, I work fast. I peak my interest, piss a few people off, then understand it and watch the daisies grow. Obviously the pissing people off isn't intentional.

Anyway....

Oembios.exe... sounds good, so the information you are gathering goes towards this file? Which in turn can identify more slp capable systems?

:confused: I'll look into where to use it as I've clicked on the exe but it flashes up a command prompt screen and dissapears again.

(Edit - Lol, I wrote another big reply here because I wanted to understand something. it didn't click that I will probably have to run oembios.exe from a system other than mine which definitely isn't factory built...)

So basically, I run the file and see if it reports anything VALID that matches the internal kutslist information... Ok, here's the kicker. What if I have a system that "isn't" on the kutslist? Would I just run the ComputerInfoKey Util? But... I would have to know obviously that the key is SLP and activated first. Which is what mgadiag is for? lol, this needs coffee... hahahah

Right, last question for this post, are bios strings case sensitive? because I searched for "EMachines" not "EMACHINES" when doing the debug thing in the command prompt...

Thanks again.

Smartepants, what's up with your wireless? I'm on aminocreations@hotmail.co.uk if you want to ask. Wireless is something I work a lot with if you need assistance bud.
insomnai

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to The OEM A.C.T.