Problem installing Tablet PC Edition

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

Problem installing Tablet PC Edition

Postby jackass5 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi everyone, I have a problem that dont find solve and Im :twisted: for that problem that is simple! Ok, here we go, first of all, I have a Gateway with ability of Tablet PC, the computer begin to run with problems and I decide to make a slipstreaming CD with my drivers (I need the SATA drivers for install XP when I boot) and also I add the Service Pack 2, all this using nLite (the CD source are a VLK installation). After all, I formatted the partition 1 and re-installed with the CD that I make and everything is fine. But, next I decide to have Tablet PC edition again, and see that the CD that I make have the components for Tablet PC. Now I want to install this components, and I read that this components is the "Tablet PC Edition". But with the Key that I use install just XP PRO. I read a lot of change setupp.ini, change unattended.txt and I use the OEM key in the bottom of the laptop and dont work. What I need to do? I read that if I put the OEMBIOS files in the CD and put the OEM of the laptop this work, but for me not! Also I read all about OEMScan, but I dont understand, I use this software in my laptop and this tell me that MATCHED with Gateway and Copy the files to system32/dllcache/ but what I need to do?

I really want to install the Tablet PC components that is in the CD, also I have the components in a Backup Harddisk, but I dont have the I386 original folder.

I just have the Recovery partition in D:\ but it dont have the OEMBIOS, setupp.ini and winnt.sif. What I need to do?
jackass5

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 am

OK, This is a tough one.
First some basic info.
1) The key on the sticker attached to your Gateway can never be activated over the internet. It will always require you to phone in to activate because those 'sticker keys' were decommissioned by M$ to prevent piracy. That's OK, I have scripts below that will help you recover your legitimate key.
2) The key you will recover will ONLY work with the product it was recovered from. i.e, you can't use a key from XP Pro to activate XP Home, or you can't use a VLK XP Pro key to unlock an OEM XP Pro install. Still with me?

So, for this to work, you need an OEM Tablet PC edition (XP Pro?) disc. Depending on your recovery partition, it may already be there (you mentioned no i386 folder...a bad sign). Your recovery partition may just be an image (ghost, acronis, etc.) in which case you may be able to copy that image and extract it to a different medium (CD, HDD) for processing.

First, backup any important data from your hard drive.
Second, run your recovery software to restore the hard drive back to factory defaults from the recovery partition. (This will wipe your drive!).
Next, build and run the following scripts:
Create a text file in notepad called "getkey.vbs", edit it in notepad and add the following code:
Code: Select all
Dim objFS, objShell
Dim strXPKey

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strXPKey = objShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName")
If Len(strXPKey) > 0 Then
  WScript.Echo "[UserData]"
  WScript.Echo "ProductKey=" & chr(34) & GetKey(objShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId")) & chr(34)
  WScript.Echo "[Data]"
  WScript.Echo "MSDosInitiated=0"
  WScript.Echo "UnattendedInstall=Yes"
End If

Function GetKey(rpk)
  Const rpkOffset=52:i=28
  szPossibleChars="BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
  Do
   dwAccumulator=0 : j=14
   Do
     dwAccumulator=dwAccumulator*256
     dwAccumulator=rpk(j+rpkOffset)+dwAccumulator
     rpk(j+rpkOffset)=(dwAccumulator\24) and 255
     dwAccumulator=dwAccumulator Mod 24
     j=j-1
   Loop While j>=0
   i=i-1 : szProductKey=mid(szPossibleChars,dwAccumulator+1,1)&szProductKey
   if (((29-i) Mod 6)=0) and (i<>-1) then
     i=i-1 : szProductKey="-"&szProductKey
   End If
  Loop While i>=0
  GetKey=szProductKey
End Function

Then create a text file called "getfiles.bat", edit it in notepad and paste the following code:
Code: Select all
attrib -s %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
attrib +s %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.BIN
makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.DAT
makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.SIG
cscript //nologo getkey.vbs > winnt.sif

Put both files in an empty folder, then double-click the file "getfiles.bat" and everything you need to activate XP will be dumped into that folder. :)

You'll find all the OEMBIOS files and a WINNT.SIF file with your activation code already listed.

When you build your unattended disc, just put all the above files in your i386 folder and you're set.
XP will activate itself without asking.

Extracting your recovery partition installer files? That's covered in a different thread here.
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby jackass5 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi, I read all the reply, but I cannot come back to the Original state of the laptop because I dont have the Recovery CD, and also I dont have the OEM Tablet PC edition CD. I just have the Recovery partitions, without files of OEMFILES and without files like "Winnt.sif or Unattended.txt". Also I have a OEM XP Home from another laptop (without Tablet).

What do you recommend?
How I resolve my problem?

Thanks You!
jackass5

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:21 am

Well, you could contact Gateway and request a new recovery CD. They usually charge around $10-$30 (roughly).
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby leveup » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:53 am

I am glad to read it here.
leveup

Return to The OEM A.C.T.