[Release] OEMScan Addons v1.4.1

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology)
This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation. :D

Postby TwoJ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:23 pm

Could someone tell me what an 'obsolete' CRC32 hash of OEMBIOS.cat means?

I just reinstalled a Fujitsu laptop which has a CRC32 of 5132CB71, when i looked this up it is listed as obsolete.

I see on oembios that there are others for;
10045CFA
2F0B1D79
9CF90CA8

which are not crossed out, so i'm unclear about why there are so many OEMs which have different OEMBIOS.

and what do i use if i want to create a Fujitsu OEM addon, which oembios files should i use? it seems that i shouldn't use the ones from this laptop since they have the 'obsolete' crc?

look for some enlightenment

thanks
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:45 pm

I believe the reason they are obsolete is because a newer oembios set was found that actually references all of the areas of the bios that the obsolete one does plus more areas. So the newer oembios set is more universal.
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby rotzooi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Very useful, thank you.
rotzooi

Users Information

Postby TwoJ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks siginet

So really its not obsolete, you could still use those BIOS files but they would not be as complete - ie possibly wouldn't work on newer models?

Is there a list of OEM companies? I guess the list of Royalty OEMs would be fairly short (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc), but is there a list of other companies that would perhaps help secure the oembios files for these.

I ask since i've got a Cicero computer (era-2002/3), which was a popular brand of computer sold by Futureshop in Canada. However it was reformatted with our volume licence, and now that i would like to sell it off i wanted to revert it back to its original OEM XP Home license.

When i look at the COA sticker it has STI where the company name is, after doing a bit of searching i believe this stands for Seanix Technology Inc. which was the company that produced the Cicero brand. While the company is still around i think the time & cost of trying to obtain the re-install CDs for that computer might be pretty time consuming.

But as i was doing this i was hoping i could come across a list (as complete as possible) of OEM companies, so that next time i could just look at the COA find STI, find out what company it is, hopefully get the OEMBIOS files for it, and even better have the Product key for that OEM ;-)

Anyhow if anyone has a Cicero computer that still has the original windows XP installation i would very much appreciate getting the OEMBIOS files from it.

Also is there any way to determine if an OEM is using SLP?
TwoJ

Users Information

Postby kd6aaj » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 pm

Mr_Smartie_Pants, or anyone else.

I get the message (this is a loose quote) "cmdow is not a recognised internal command". Then it won't run oemscan because it can't find the path. This occurs at T-13 when OEMSCAN is being called from SVCPACK.INF.

I've tried putting CMDOW.EXE in the system32 folder of the CDROM, and the SVCPACK folder.

I have to use the SHIFT-F10 method to manualy browse to the cdrom and run oemscan in a command prompt. T-13 seems too late for running OEMSCAN, so I "SHIFT F-10" at T-39.

WINNT.SIF adds it's key at T-32 (I ended up removing the key from WINNT.SIF because it overwrot the key OEMSCAN set).

Maybe OEMSCAN need to run after T-32, but before T-26?

I've Googled and browsed the forums. No idea yet how to get oemscan to run from cdrom without using %OEM%.

My observations (orrect me if I'm wrong):

T-39 = COPYING FILES
T-34 = DEVICE INSTALLATION (detecting video, modem, etc)
T-32 = NETWORK SETUP (NAME, ORGANIZATION, PRODUCT KEY)
T-26 = DELETEING/COPYING FILES
T-24 = COMPLETING INSTALLATION
T-22 = INSTALL START MENU ITEMS
T-18 = REGISTERING COMPONENTS
T-13 = END OF SVCPACK.INF (still REGISTERING COMPONENTS)
kd6aaj

Users Information

Postby Siginet » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:22 pm

If you use the Addons the way they are now and just add you slp key to winnt.sif then you do not ever need $OEM$.
Windows XP PowerPacker Reviewed in PC-Quest & PC Utilities magazines!
RVM Integrator Reviewed in CPU magazine and Maximum PC!
--Siginet--
Siginet

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Siginet wrote:If you use the Addons the way they are now and just add you slp key to winnt.sif then you do not ever need $OEM$.

I agree with Siginet, If you need to load a single OEM type (Dell), use the original 1.4 addon and put your SLP key in WINNT.SIF. If you need to use your disc on multiple different OEM types, use my 1.6 multisystem addon (but it's implementation is trickier since you have to build it).
One OEM's SLP key may work with other OEMs, but might not. YMMV.

cmdow is only needed if you want to hide the cmd window. Some AV setups flag it as malware though so YMMV. Me personally, I don't hide the cmd windows, but use them to display progress (ECHO Now loading XYZ.exe).
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby kd6aaj » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:00 am

OK,

I removed the key from winnt.sif because I thought it was overwriting the key in oemscan.ini (I figured SVCPACK.INF and OEMSCAN were running before WINNT.SIF) and I was also curious exactly when OEMSCAN was running.

I read the WINNT.SIF guide, but wasn't aware of when svcpack.inf was used.

For some reason I can't get OEMSCAN to execute from the CDROM in runonce, so I put the command back in svcpack.inf. The OEMSCAN.BAT
file runs, then I get the error mentioned in my previous post.

My main problem is setup can't find the path to the OEM folder (no dollar signs). I can bring up the command prompt with Shift-F10 then browse to E:\OEM (or D:\OEM depending on which drive the cd is in) and run OEMSCAN that way. I can even acces my USB flash drive with OEMSCAN and the OEM folder on it (anytime durring the GUI setup)

I've burned 10 CDR's so far (my burner hates CDRW, so I'm stuck with CDR's).

Here is the OEMSCAN.BAT file that comes with the OEMSCAN addons:
Code: Select all
CMDOW @ /HID
@ECHO OFF
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z :) do if exist %%i\WIN51 set CDROM=%%i

%CDROM%\OEM\OEMSCAN.EXE > "%SystemRoot%\Temp\oemscan.log"

If I can just figure out how to get the batchc file to correctly point to the OEM folder, the rest would be easy.

OEMSCAN is doing it's job when I run it manualy, it ID's the correct OEMBIOS.* set and copies over them over. SETKEY.EXE also works.

A sample from my OEMSCAN.INI, notice the OEMCOPY command that works, too:
; CRC32 = 1B7F1F55
[EMACHINES]
PATH=".\Ema_Gate\1B7F1F55"
CMD="SetKey XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" (key not shown per FORUM rules)
CMD=".\Ema_Gate\1B7F1F55\OEMCOPY.CMD"

sample of my working OEMCOPY.CMD:
copy oemlogo.bmp %SystemRoot%\System32\
copy oeminfo.ini %SystemRoot%\System32\
copy oobeinfo.ini %SystemRoot%\system32\oobe\
copy oemeula.txt %SystemRoot%\System32\oobe\
copy OEMLOGO.JPG %SystemRoot%\system32\oobe\images
copy emachines_32.bmp %SystemRoot%\
copy emachines.theme %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\

On a side note, any ideas how to copy a file or files to the root of C:\ ?
perhaps it is %ROOT% ?

I'll check out the multi_oem addons, but that seems to require a %OEM% folder instead of OEM.

With Ghost I had to use an "IF THEN" option for finding the cdrom.

Thanks you guys.

Ed
kd6aaj

Users Information

Postby mr_smartepants » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:33 am

It looks as if you're trying to mix and match the two different addons together. They use different methods to accomplish the same task. For Siginet's method, you must add the product key to WINNT.SIF and call the OEMSCAN.BAT file from svcpack.inf. The addon (when integrated) does all this for you.

My addon uses two AutoIt .exe scripts to accomplish the same thing but at T-39 (I think, it's not my script). WINNT.SIF product key remains blank; or use a retail/vlk/etc key which will be overwritten if a matching OEM bios is found by oemscan.

To copy a file to C:\ root, use %systemdrive%

BTW, I like your OEMCOPY.CMD. Do you know of a repository somewhere to get the oobe info/pics/eula and the oemlogo/themes?
mr_smartepants

Users Information

Postby kd6aaj » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 am

mr_smartepants wrote:To copy a file to C:\ root, use %systemdrive%

mr_smartepants wrote:BTW, I like your OEMCOPY.CMD. Do you know of a repository somewhere to get the oobe info/pics/eula and the oemlogo/themes?

Thanks, it's not originaly mine, I "borrowed" it from "FreeStyler" on the MSFN forum (POST # 213).

http://www.msfn.org/board/OEMScan_Automated_Multi_Manufacture_Pr_t82638.html&st=200&p=610454#entry610454

I wish I knew of a repository. I have the eMachines logos, maybe Gateway (they do it a little different with multiple cd's, I need to dig my other Gateway CD's out) and I need to look for others.

I saw a post on the MSFN forum where someone said they collected them. We need to bug him ;)
Another Link
http://www.msfn.org/board/oemlogobmp_t44873.html
and http://www.msfn.org/board/add_oemlogo_and_oeminfo_XPCD_t100200.html
Thanks for the reply!

Ed
kd6aaj

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to The OEM A.C.T.