FGCBA Handler UI v0.03

FGCBA is a utility designed to build addon CABs by processing the entries.ini file and any dependant files referenced by it. It can also check addon CABs for errors to minimize the chance for failed installations. (AddonPacks are for use with the RVMIntegrator or nLite.)

FGCBA Handler UI v0.03

Postby n7Epsilon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:08 am

Here's the 3rd release of the handler :) (requires .NET Framework 2.0)

To use, just put it anywhere on your hard drive and execute
FGCBAHandler.exe /register
This will add entries pointing to itself to the INI, INF and all integrator-supported archive types.

To unregister execute:
FGCBAHandler.exe /unregister

To register/unregister silently add /silent to the command line.

Now you can right-click INI, INF, CAB, 7z, ZIP and RAR files and choose FGCBA... and use this handler :) .

Enjoy! :) Post any feedback or suggestions here if you want :) .

PS: This is designed to work with 0.896 of FGCBA and higher, it will work with 0.86 but you won't be able to build addons (since the build parameter changed with version 0.891).

Once I finish integrator-friendly enhancements and improve this handler enough, FGCBA 0.90 will be released.

Download Link:
http://fgcba.xable.net/FGCBAHandler_0030.ZIP
md5: ED343C40A44322F10FEC89DD16CAE6F6

n7Epsilon

Users Information

Postby ricktendo64 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:44 am

WOW! n7 it looks AWESOME!,

BUT am I going blind? 8) I cant seem to find the download Link anywhere :P
ImageImageImage
ricktendo64

Users Information

Postby n7Epsilon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:58 am

I've put it as an attachment at the bottom of the post, isn't it appearing for you ?

EDIT: Moved the file to Xable's server, thanks a lot for that, later versions than what was here have been released
n7Epsilon

Users Information

Postby ricktendo64 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:08 am

Nope, cant view the Atachment

ImageImageImage
ricktendo64

Users Information

Postby Kelsenellenelvian » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Hmmm super great idea and works great too. Couple of ideas though how about having it also recognize cab, zip and rar files too so you can scan a whole addon? Also how do we get this to work in an addon? ricktendo tells me he tried tracking the regentries it makes and using them in an inf and I used /register but that still uses an interactive button to continue.
Kelsenellenelvian

Users Information

Postby ricktendo64 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Adding FGCBA... shell extention to all the integrators suported archive files would be awesome (rar, 7z, zip, cab).

Also n7Epilson any good Ideas on how to make a good addon for this?

I tried using AddReg for the shell extentions, but my first attempt failed. Im gonna keep trying, maybe I did something wrong.
ricktendo64

Users Information

Postby Nightwolf81 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:31 am

G'day

I am just messin with the Handler (I know it's version .1) but just a reminder:
It should check the app path for FGCBA.exe (not just system paths). . . and incase it can't find it (do somthing a little more exciting than crash. . Mabey offer a link to download it . . Or search for file option. . . You'd probablly need to add some reg enteries to get search for file option tho)

Basic stuff I know (I'll just stop picking and wait till you let us know you need feedback, GOOD work so far and make sure you leave room for a que list (I'd love to test them all at once)!!

OOOOOO I just had another Idea!! (most users of this would benifit if they could setup default right click options (say test and build if successful) just chuck settings in the registry and bobs your uncle (shes done) well if you read them out on load that is!! (the main point is to keep default right click action seperate from UI settings to enhance usability. . . and if it gets too big. . . profiles)!

I am starting to think you'll need full time beta testers for this project!! lol

Night Out :D
Nightwolf81

Users Information

Postby n7Epsilon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 am

ricktendo64 wrote:Also n7Epilson any good Ideas on how to make a good addon for this?

I tried using AddReg for the shell extentions, but my first attempt failed. Im gonna keep trying, maybe I did something wrong.

All FGCBAHandler does is simply add a FGCBAHandler key to the shell key of inifile and inffile in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT...

Here's a REG of what is added (if you want to make it into an addon) as of version 0.01:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inffile\shell\FGCBAHandler]
@="&FGCBA..."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inffile\shell\FGCBAHandler\command]
@="{fullPathToFGCBAHandler} "%1""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inifile\shell\FGCBAHandler]
@="&FGCBA..."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\inifile\shell\FGCBAHandler\command]
@="{fullPathToFGCBAHandler} "%1""

Of course {fullPathToFGCBAHandler} is the absolute path to the FGCBAHandler.exe which was launched with the /register parameter

The uninstall routine simply deletes the FGCBAHandler keys in HKCR\inifile and HKCR\inffile

ricktendo64 wrote:Adding FGCBA... shell extention to all the integrators suported archive files would be awesome (rar, 7z, zip, cab).

The problem with these formats is that they aren't handled in the registry as individual types, instead (and especially when you install a archive program like 7-Zip or WinRAR, they set their keys to point to their own custom registry subkey in HKCR and adding shell\FGCBAHandler to them has no effect.

So I would have to add that subkey to the shell key of the type these archive types are pointed to, and that in itself is unpredictable (I can't predict the applications on the user's system).

I can probably code FGCBA to attempt to trace the key redirections to the final type and register itself there but then when you uninstall the program which owns that type, FGCBA's key would get deleted, and FGCBA's registering mechanism then itself would become unpredictable to a degree making it difficult to make an addon for it (unless you specifically run FGCBAHandler.exe /register) and that would mean requiring the handler to be registered only after the .NET Framework has been installed....

The ultimate solution to that is to code the context menu item for FGCBAHandler into a C++ persistent context menu handler DLL but that is beyond me currently (unless someone can do it :) , all it needs is just to add the handler item to the required types)

Or

You can just put FGCBAHandler in the SendTo menu, I have coded it to immediately run FGCBA in checkaddon mode if the input file is an addon archive.

@NightWolf81, sorry I didn't realise that possibility (crash if FGCBA was not found in system path), I will handle this a lot more gracefully in the next version...
n7Epsilon

Users Information

Postby ricktendo64 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:13 pm

Thank you n7Epilson for your repply, help and awesome aplications reg2inf and FGCBA, without them id mess up my machine testing addons using [DefaultInstall] :D
ricktendo64

Users Information

Postby n7Epsilon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 am

Fresh out the oven: v0.02 :) .

FGCBAHandler will now follow through registry redirections and successfully add itself to .7z .zip .rar .cab and .rar in addition to .ini and .inf.

Now if FGCBA.exe was not found, the user will get a much more user-friendly box stating the problem and offering clickable links to download FGCBA.

Added /silent parameter for silent registration and unregistration.

Moved the file off bad file-sharing file services, now it is hosted on Xable's server with FGCBA (thanks again for the hosting :D .

The download link is in the 1st post, enjoy ;) .
n7Epsilon

Users Information

Next

Return to Project FGCBA (File Gatherer and Cab Builder for AddOns)